We haven’t just been consulting with some of the world’s largest companies since 2013. Before that, we each spent 25 years as entrepreneurs and leading CSR inside multi-national companies.
We have created CSR strategies, built employee volunteering and giving programs, developed investor relations communications, supported sales teams with CSR strategies to win new customers, wrote award-winning corporate responsibility reports, and created value-added signature programs that increased employee engagement - all benefitting the companies through profitability, reputation and talent retention. In 2018 we had a light bulb moment! We realized the need to massively shift the way we shared our knowledge and practices, from working with a handful of companies, to sharing the proven methods and tools we have developed over the years with the world at scale.
Why the shift?
First, we know - and live the proof every day- that social and environmental responsibility is the biggest opportunity for business:
- consumers are voting with their dollars and buying from honest companies
- talent wants to work for companies they feel good about
- investors are increasingly demanding information about how companies are managing social and environmental risks.
Second, there remains a hug gap in businesses seizing this opportunity:
- Most leaders are confused about what corporate responsibility actually is
- CSR professionals are perceived as doing “soft and nice-to-do” work and leaders can’t understand the value they’re adding
- Students are studying sustainability in college, but aren’t being taught the practical tools they need to actually do this work in companies
So, we decided to give the world the tools we have created throughout our careers in our podcast, Creating Responsible Companies. Business leaders, up-and-coming and seasoned Corporate Social Responsibility professionals, and Everyday Superheroes deserve to benefit from developing corporate responsibility inside their own companies AND have the chance to leave a great legacy too!
This is all in support of our simple mission to make the world a better place, together, one responsible company at a time.
Meet the Hosts
As a young girl who was raised with a “waste-not-want-not” mentality and went on annual mission trips, I learned about the power of “doing the right thing” and developing relationships. I experienced the bonds that were created within the organization, and the people we served, which were foundational in my career path of leading companies’ efforts to add business value by being socially and environmentally responsible…and telling their story, an often-missed opportunity. My most favorite things in life are to spend time with my millennial and Gen Z kids, kayaking in beautiful St. Pete waters, and exercising as my “athlete-wanna-be” persona.”
Even though I love numbers, data and bullet-proof processes (data IS my favorite 4 letter word!), my superpower is blending seemingly unrelated pieces of information and big ideas into strategies that make people happy and companies more profitable. I am also passionate about sharing the concept of corporate Environment, Social & Governance (ESG) ratings and how they will influence future investments. If you are ever in St Petersburg, FL, you might catch me paddle boarding in the mangroves or singing with my band in one of the sunniest, hippest, most sustainable cities in the world that I am proud to call home.
What We've Been Up To
In addition to our confidential client engagements, we take pride in giving back through community leadership and involvement, typically by lending our talents to advance the dialogue around social and environmental risks and opportunities.
Here are some examples of activities that help keep us informed, relevant and engaged in sustainability and corporate responsibility.
- Our founding partner, Barbra Anderson, begins covering for a top Fortune company client who is going on maternity leave. Did we mention that we’ll be covering 100% of their CSR activities including reporting, communications, corporate giving and their foundation?
- Recorded a 3-part podcast series on how critical it is to integrate CSR in all corporate communications: internal, external and to investors/owners. www.Destinationbetter.com/6
- Launched our Vlog!
- Wrote a supplier code of conduct, associate human rights statement and updated the code of ethics for one of the world’s largest companies-all to integrate CSR-related topics, new policies and their responsible approach to business throughout their communications!
- Recorded Episodes 0-5 for our Creating Responsible Companies podcast.
- Team members facilitated conversations at the first StPete2050 visioning workshops as part of our amazing partnership with VHB and the City of St. Pete.
- Attended the Sustany Foundation annual event, The Sustainable Buzz, at the Straz Center for Performing Arts, where our founding partner, Janet Craig, and her band, Pale Fire again headlined the event.
- This was a BIG ONE! We launched our podcast, Creating Responsible Companies along with a completely new website.
- Expanded our team to include two sustainability managers, in-house graphic design, digital marketing strategist and audio/video editor.
- Co-authors of the U.S. Farmers and Ranchers Alliance’s “Navigating the Food Metrics Maze: The Quest for Better Data Flow Across the Food Value Chain” report, including interviewing 60 nationwide food industry, farmers and ranchers to inform the content.
- Finalized preparations for City of St. Pete public engagement strategy and activities for their comprehensive plan, StPete2050.
- To sharpen the saw, DB co-founder Barbra Anderson attended a two-day Global Leadership Summit.
- As part of DB’s social outreach, co-founder Janet Craig volunteered as a youth voice coach for Girl’s Rock Camp.
- Conducted qualitative and quantitative nationwide research on the state of sustainability reporting among the world’s largest food retailers, restaurants, processors, and consumer package good companies as their experience relates to farmers and ranchers.
- Began outlining a city-wide stakeholder engagement strategy for the City of St. Petersburg Comprehensive Plan, StPete2050!
- With 100 nominations and 45 finalists, Destination Better was delighted to be one of only 20 recipients of a Sustainable Business Award at the Sustany Foundation’s 11th Annual Awards Gala at the Tampa Theatre.
- Became a finalist of the Sustany Foundation’s Sustainable Business Awards, announced at Morgan Stanley’s “Investing in Sustainability” presentation (by Lily S. Trager, Executive Director and Director of Investing with Impact) at the USF Muma College of Business.
- Spoke on WMNF radio about Sustainability in Business.
- Spoke at St. Petersburg College’s Net Impact Earth Day Sustainability and Business Speaker Series.
- Met with a five-person delegation from the Republic of Korea and their two interpreters, for a "Women's Economic Empowerment: Enabling Women to Succeed in Business" Program, coordinated by World Partnerships, Inc.
- Spoke at the University of Tampa Sustainability Speaker Series, “Secrets from the Corporate Sustainability Trenches: Embedding the Triple Bottom Line to Attract Top-notch Talent and Drive Profitability.”
- As part of our St. Pete Chamber Sustainability Committee membership, toured the Pinellas County Resource Recovery Facility, which processes waste into energy.
- Destination Better attended Mayor Bloomberg’s announcement of the Bloomberg American Cities Climate Challenge. The City of St. Pete received $2.5 million in resources to combat climate change at the local level. Destination Better was involved by providing stakeholder engagement services for the City’s Integrated Sustainability Action Plan.
- Founding Partner Barbra Anderson’s, blog post about human trafficking in the travel industry was published in Ethical Corporation magazine.
- Attended the St. Pete Chamber Grow Smarter Summit.
- Founding Partner Barbra Anderson spoke at the Sustainable Florida Forum on “Communicating Your Sustainability.”
- Founding Partner Janet Craig appeared live on CBS WTSP as a Sustany Foundation board member.
- Destination Better was a 2018 Sustany Sustainable Buzz sponsor, where Founding Partner Janet Craig also performed with her band, Pale Fire.
- Launched stakeholder engagement for the City of St. Petersburg’s West Central Streetscape project.
- Conducted a 2019 planning survey for the Tampa Bay Corporate Responsibility Network, then revealed results at a social event hosted by Herman Miller and Workscapes, Inc.
- Spoke at the USF Patel College of Global Sustainability.
- Met with Mayoral candidate Topher Morrison to discuss social and environmental aspects of the City of Tampa.
- Led the St. Petersburg Chamber Sustainability Committee meeting.
- Conducted stakeholder engagement at the St. Pete 2018 Sustainability Summit.
- As part of a select group of sustainability leaders, invited by Morgan Stanley to learn about sustainable wines and Allianz’s sustainable investing strategies.
- Led record turnout St. Pete Chamber Sustainability Committee meeting to hear best practices of restaurateur Steve Westphal at 400 Beach Seafood & Tap House.
- Destination Better is a finalist for an innovation and inspiration award, called "Makers & Creators," from the St. Pete Chamber of Commerce.
- Founding Partner Janet Craig presented on a panel at the Sustainable Florida Forum at Sea World.
- Destination Better was a partner contributor to the “Bringing Sustainable Tourism to the Masses” thought leadership study, with Impact Travel Alliance and Mandala Research.
- Interviewed by Spectrum Bay News 9 for a spotlight segment about Destination Better.
- Founding Partner Janet Craig represented the St. Pete Chamber of Commerce, by speaking about a 4-prong approach to address single-use plastics, at the Health, Energy, Resiliency and Sustainability committee meeting of the St. Pete City Council.
- Co-hosted and facilitated an Interfaith Workshop to obtain input from faith leaders regarding social and environmental equity in St. Pete.
- Conducted a Business Association Stakeholder Engagement session for the City of St. Pete.
- Founding Partner Janet Craig served as keynote speaker for the Tampa Bay Corporate Responsibility Network quarterly education session at the Florida Aquarium, presenting "How the Institutional Investor Market is Driving Corporate Sustainability Reporting: the Sustainability Accounting Standards Board."
- Co-hosted the Mayor's Executive Commission at Franklin Templeton, attended by area CEO, government and nonprofit leaders, for Integrated Sustainability Action Plan stakeholder engagement.
- Hosted the St. Pete Chamber's Sustainability Committee at 3 Daughters Brewing, spotlighting their responsible operating practices.
- Met with small business owners at the Skyway Marina Mall, to obtain their input about the future of St. Pete.
- Facilitated topic areas at the City of St. Petersburg's Stakeholder Advisory Group's input session for the Integrated Sustainability Action Plan (a first of its kind in the Tampa Bay region).
- At Nielsen's Global Technology Information Center, attended their Diverse Intelligence Series 2018: "The Power of She."
- Supporter of Sustainable Florida's tour of Coppertail Brewing Company tour for Tampa Bay Corporate Responsibility Network.
- Conducted community stakeholder engagement at a Localtopia event in St. Petersburg, for the City's Integrated Sustainability Action Plan.
- Hosted the Tampa Bay Corporate Responsibility Network at the Muma College of Business, on the University of South Florida campus.
- Founding Partner Janet Craig achieved a Sustainability Accounting Standards Board Level 1 Fundamentals of Sustainability Accounting Credential (woo hoo!)
- Attended the 2nd Annual Community Meeting for the Foundation for a Healthy St. Pete and a "Color St. Pete" panel discussion: The Art of Community, Inspiring Conversation and Creating Change.
- Attended the 2017 Tampa Bay Business Journal's Corporate Philanthropy Awards, the St. Pete Chamber's Grow Smarter Summit and the Tampa Bay Innovation Center's TECH Talk.
- As a Strategic Partner, led a breakout session at the Companies vs. Climate Change conference in Miami on "Your company is doing great things, but are you fully telling its story?".
- Spoke at Et Cultura Festival on the Livable Cities Panel.
- Led the St. Pete Chamber Sustainability Committee meeting.
- Hosted the Tampa Bay Corporate Responsibility Network meeting in St. Petersburg.
- Presented to the Environmental Science and Policy class at the University of Tampa.
- Attended the Smart and Sustainable Cities Expert Panel, hosted by US Green Building Council Florida, at the USF Patel College of Global Sustainability.
- Developed the concept for, funded and launched the Tampa Bay Corporate Responsibility Network.
- Keynote speaker at the WITTI (Women in Travel and Tourism International) to close the LaCita travel conference.
- Attended the Florida Restaurant & Lodging Association's Marketing + Operations Summit in Ft. Lauderdale.
- Announced the Tampa Bay Corporate Responsibility Network.
- Founding Partner Barbra Anderson honored as an Outstanding Woman in Travel and Transportation in Washington, D.C., by WITTI (Women in Travel and Tourism International).
- Presented on eLearning University about The Sustainable Traveler.
- Attended the Sustainable Business Awards, hosted by the Sustany Foundation.
- Received our Women's Business Enterprise National Council Certification from WBENC and our Woman-owned Business Certification from the Florida Office of Supplier Diversity.
- Attended the City of St. Petersburg Sustainability Summit.
- Founding Partner Barbra Anderson was nominated as one of the Top Women in Travel Award, by Women in Travel and Tourism.
- Presented “The Sustainable Traveler” at the Illinois Governor's Conference on Tourism.
- Keynote at Leon County Sustainable Communities Summit: Hospitality Industry Workshop.
- Founding Partner Janet Craig appointed the Chair of the Sustainability Committee for the St. Pete Chamber of Commerce.
- Guest lecturers at Eckerd College’s Green Business class.
- Invited as Sustainability Leaders to attend the Resilient City conference, hosted by the Urban Land Institute (ULI) of Tampa Bay to provide guidance to the City of St. Petersburg on economic development and social equity strategies for improving resilience through adaptive planning and projects.
- Served as the Key Strategic Partner and speaker for the inaugural three-day Companies vs Climate Change conference in Ft. Lauderdale.
- Featured in the Global Entrepreneurship Network's Global Entrepreneurship Week event.
- Launched a Sustainable Traveler Pilot Project with the St. Petersburg Area Chamber of Commerce's Tourism Partners.
- Honored with a SASI-ONE Merit Award in the market research category for the 2016 Mandala Research study we co-sponsored, The Role of Sustainability in Travel & Tourism. SASI-ONE Awards (SASI = Shop America Salutes Innovation) recognize prominent leaders in the tourism industry for their vision and commitment to developing shopping and cultural tourism.
- Attended the Florida Governor's Conference on Tourism.
- Presented “The Sustainable Traveler” to the St. Petersburg Area Chamber of Commerce's Tourism Partners.
- In Travel Weekly, Destination Better is quoted and infographic published in "Sustainable Sustainability" article.
- Co-hosts webinars on The Sustainable Traveler, reaching participant capacity in 48 hours.
- Attended the Florida Restaurant and Lodging Association's Marketing + Operations Summit.
- Co-hosted webinars on The Sustainable Traveler, with Mandala Research Sustainable Travel International, reaching hundreds of participants on 5 continents.
- Nominated as a "Cool Company" by the St. Petersburg Chamber of Commerce.
- In Portland, met with City of Portland’s Sustainability at Work team and Sustainable Travel International.
- In Tampa attended the Tampa Bay Export Alliance International Town Hall.
- Asked to lead the Chamber Sustainability Working Group of the Sustainability Task Force of the St. Petersburg Chamber of Commerce.
- Joined the Sustainability Task Force of the St. Petersburg Chamber of Commerce.
- Took Master's students from the University of South Florida's Patel College of Global Sustainability on a tour of Amalie Arena to learn about their operational sustainability initiatives, such as recycling, composting and an on-site garden.
- Presented sustainability and communications recommendations to leadership of the Straz Center for the Performing Arts.
In Toronto, attended the WELL Building Standard workshop, conducted by Delos.